Saturday, June 13, 2015

Country Life

There are times I miss the convenience of it only taking five minutes to run to the grocery store for a gallon of milk. Then there are days, like today, that I walk outside and remember why I love this amazing country life.

Here's the thing, I don't own the finest of houses. It's an old house. It doesn't have central heat or AC, but it does have a wood stove for the winter and huge shade trees and fans for the summer. It's a work in progress, and one day, it will be beautiful again.

Here's the beautiful thing though, I walk outside, and a smile immediately crosses my face. The birds are singing, and when I look directly in front of me, I see my big beautiful garden growing. I'm automatically attracted to it. As I walk closer I begin to hear a symphony. The bees are buzzing as the pollinate my plants. The birds are singing. There are beautiful buds on all my plants. The bright sun is shining on my back.

I pick a few cucumbers, a few squash, and several peppers. As I bring them in the house, I feel accomplished. We aren't merely existing. We are creating. We are teaching our children to be self sufficient. We are teaching our children the value of hard work. We are teaching and learning how to work the earth to create food and beauty.

That. All of that up there, THAT, is the attraction of country life. It isn't perfect, but it is satisfying. It is a feeling of accomplishment daily. It is my own little slice of heaven on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment