Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Applesauce...

I didn't think to take pictures of this as I was doing it, but I made applesauce the other day. It was fairly simple and I didn't use a recipe. I mean, it's applesauce, how hard can it be? lol

Ingredients:
1/2 Peck of red delicious apples
1/2 Peck of granny smith apples
1/4 cup of sugar
1 T Cinnamon
1 T Lemon Juice

1. Cut up apples into fourths. Don't bother peeling or coring them, it'll all come out in the end.
2. Place in pan and add water about half way up. You can use apple juice if you want to, but I didn't bother, it just adds to the cost.
3. Bring pot to a boil, then put a lid on it and turn it to low. Stir occasionally to keep it from sticking to the bottom.
Now, here's the fun part, when the apples are tender, turn pot off. I don't own a mill, so I used a sieve and a cup. I scooped out a sieve full of apples, let the juice drain off, then used a big plastic cup to mush the apple through the sieve. It seemed to work best when I push the cup down and rubbed it back and forth across the sieve. Throw out the pulp after each sieve full that you do. See, I told you it was easy!

When you have scooped out all the apples you can, pour remaining liquid through the sieve to make sure you get every bit of apple that you can. This made about 2 quarts of applesauce. To that I added a 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. After I tasted it, I felt like it needed more tart so I added a table spoon of lemon juice. This is super good and is almost gone already. My kids LOVE it! They mixed it in with the yogurt I had made the same day and made a drinkable yogurt. :) It has been a big hit.

I saved the juice to make apple jelly with. Waste not, want not, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment