Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Cottage and Ricotta cheese....

Mmmmm. Mmmmm. Good! I used THIS recipe except I used whole milk. If you use whole milk, make sure you up the vinegar to 1 full cup. The 3/4ths that this recipe calls for, does not affectively curd in whole milk. This is my second time making it. Before posting about it, I had to make sure it actually worked and wasn't a fluke the first time. haha! Once I was finished, I took the whey, added a teaspoon of salt and brought it to a boil. I let it sit until it was about 140 degrees and guess what? I now have ricotta too!
See the white underneath the yellow? That is ricotta made from the whey. :)

 I used the curds from the first part of the recipe to make fried cheese curds. SUPER YUM! I don't know about healthy, but hey, at least it had protein! Who knew country life could be so simple? I have to say though, it takes A LOT of whey to make ricotta cheese. In fact it's ridiculous how much whey it takes. I got only about 1/2 a cup, if that, out of this batch. So just so you know, from one gallon of milk you can get about 2 cups of cheese curds, and about 1/2 cup of ricotta. I am soon going to order the rennet for making other types of cheeses. Gotta get this down BEFORE I buy a cow! haha!

1 comment:

  1. Nom! Nom! It looks awesome! You go girl!

    Jeannette ... I've awarded you with the "Sunshine Award" in blogging! Woot! Check it out here, http://bcuzmommysaidso.com/2012/01/04/awww-i/.
    xoxo
    Cat

    ReplyDelete