Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Raw Milk...

I'm talking about cow's milk in particular here because the smell of raw goats milk, makes me want to hurl! Seriously! Have you smelled that stuff? It smells as bad as the goat itself. I am tempted to get some though because I really want to make feta cheese. I am scared of the process though, and the fact that I have to smell the milk to make the cheese. I know, cheesy, huh?!  Amazingly I have used that fowl smelling stuff to make soap in the past (the canned variety--the milk that is, not the soap lol). My soap, however, smelled wonderful. :)

Ok, ok I know, there are many people out there who are against drinking cow's milk or any milk, but my family loves it. We just have to agree to disagree. :) 

On to what this post is all about--I've been reading about raw milk vs. processed milk. Raw milk is much better for you and easier to digest. Google it, it's interesting stuff. :) Not only that but raw milk doesn't spoil. Don't get me wrong it sours, but if you eat sour cream, you are eating soured milk. So, I decided I was going to find a place that sells raw milk around here. I don't know what the laws are in other states, but in Virginia, it's against the law to buy and sell raw milk. You can however, milk your own cow and drink it yourself. This left me in a pickle. I REALLY want raw milk, but there is no way I can afford to buy a cow right now. On top of that, I can't find one that is for sale anyway.

I did find out this really cool thing called "cow shares" though. Basically you buy a share in a cow. You are part owner, but the cow never leaves that farm and you help pay for it's expenses every month. For this, you can get the milk because it's YOUR cow. I found a farm that has good practices, takes good care of their animals, AND has some shares available. So I'm going for it. I am going to be a part cow owner--plus side, I don't have to do the milking! WOOT! haha 

Over the next few weeks, I plan to make butter milk, yogurt, and hey, I may even try my hand at cheese. I home school my kiddos, so these are great science experiments for them. :) 

Oh, oh, oh, and I can get farm fresh eggs from them too. :) In the spring we will be buying our own laying hens, but until then, I will be happy to support them and provide some yummy free range eggs for my family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment